Many of you might have already purchased Jio sim during preview offer. But everyone got disappointed when Reliance changed preview offer to welcome offer.
Previously users were getting good speeds & there was no capping over data. But from 5th September, speed got reduced significantly & data capping was set to 4GB/day. After crossing this limit, user hardly gets speed more than 128 Kbps.
Table of Contents
- What is JioFi?
- How to buy Reliance JioFi device online?
- JioFi Plans
- Setting up the device
- Where can I find JioFi Password?
- How can I access my account on desktop?
- What is my username & password?
- Changing jiofi.local.html login details
- How to change JioFi password?
- How to make free calls from phone using JioFi?
- Does JioFi comes with free sim?
- Can I use any other sim in JioFi?
- I have 2G/3G phone, can I make free calls?
- Are JioFi & Mifi different from each other?
- Sharing is Caring!
What is JioFi?
Jiofi is a small hotspot device made by Lyf in association with Reliance. You can carry it anywhere & enjoy high speed internet on your mobile through wifi. You can connect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
How it is different than router?
It’s a common doubt & I though to clarify it first. Router comes into picture when you buy broadband connection. It creates hotspot & you can connect any device after entering password.
JioFi works same as router, only difference being it is smaller in size & portable. It needs sim card to access internet while router needs an internet cable from service provider. Also, router’s range is considerably wider than portable hotspot devices.
What is different here when I can create hotspot though my mobile phone itself?
If I have a Jio sim in my mobile then I can create hotspot & connect other phones to it. Yes you can do this but there’s a catch.
As you know, Jio has changed plans & migrated existing users from ‘Preview Offer’ to ‘Welcome Offer’. Now instead of unlimited 4G data, users are getting only 4GB high speed data/day & rest at 128 Kbps.
Whereas, JioFi is providing unlimited 4G & there is no cap over data at least till 31st December 2016. (NOTE : plans might change anytime)
Do I really need JioFi device?
Buy it only, if
- You have single sim phone (with other network like Airtel, Idea sim) & want to enjoy Jio services.
- You have 2G/3G phone & want to get unlimited free voice & video calls.
- You don’t want to drain phone’s battery by creating hotspot. Jiofi comes with built in battery with good backup time.
- You want to enjoy unlimited Jio net without speed throttling.
Specifications & Dimensions
- You can connect maximum of 10 devices to JioFi hotspot.
- It supports mini sim & has in built micro SD card reader.
- On the external side, it has micro USB port for charging battery.
- Battery capacity is 2800 mAh which can easily last for 6 hours or longer depending on the usage.
- Dimension : 85 × 55 × 16 mm
JioFi device is available in 3 variants : black, blue & red. All of them are priced at 1999 Rs each (subjected to change anytime).
How to buy Reliance JioFi device online?
You might have got tired searching JioFi on Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon & many online shopping sites. Unfortunately, you can not buy this device online.
You have to visit Reliance digital stores to purchase one for yourself.
Either way, some sellers at ebay.in are selling these JioFi devices but I can not give any guarantee about them. If you want, you can check out this link.
Reliance is yet to roll out official plans for JioFi device & we will update it here as soon as possible. Every customer who buy this device will get ‘Jio Welcome Offer’ & he can enjoy unlimited 4G till 31st December 2016. After this period, new plans will be applicable.
Setting up the device
1] Firstly you have to activate the Jio sim. Insert it in 4G phone & call to 1977 or you can also use an alternate number to tele-verify the sim card. We have written a complete guide on this procedure.
2] Insert mini sim in the slot as shown :
3] Place the battery & put a cover on it.
4] Press power on button & hold it for 3-4 seconds. You will see the symbols glowing. Wait until 1st symbol turns green.
5] Now turn on your mobile’s wifi which you want to connect to internet. Wifi password is given on the box itself.
6] Enter the password & your device will get connected to JioFi.
If you are facing any problems while setting up your device then just go through these working fixes.
Where can I find JioFi Password?
Wifi SSID & its password is mentioned on the box stickers. See above image for the reference.
How can I access my account on desktop?
- Turn on the wifi of your laptop & connect it to JioFi hotspot.
- Enter the password & click on connect.
- Open web browser and enter jiofi.local.html
- Press enter & now it will ask for username and password.
- After entering correct details, you will be able to access account & change device settings.
What is my username & password?
Default user name and password is : administrator
Changing jiofi.local.html login details
- Login through jiofi.local.html
- If it is your first time, then pop-up will appear asking you to change the password. Click ok & you will be taken to new window.
- Or you can go to settings > User management to change it manually.
- Enter old password & below that fill in new password.
- Click on apply to save all the settings.
How to change JioFi password?
- Login to your account through desktop & go to settings > choose wifi from the left sidebar.
- In front of SSID, type any name you want. It’s nothing but the name of wifi.
- Then type some strong password in front of ‘security key’. It will be used to connect mobile to hotspot.
- Click on apply & you are done!
How to make free calls from phone using JioFi?
- Download & install JioJoin (now renamed as Jio4GVoice) app on phone.
- Connect phone to JioFi & open the JioJoin app.
- It will ask you to enter OTP. It will receive on the alternate number which you had given at the time of purchasing sim.
- Now click on proceed.
- That’s it! Again open JioJoin & you will see a blue dialer.
- Enjoy unlimited free calling! 🙂
Does JioFi comes with free sim?
Actually, free jio sim is not the part of the box. But when you buy it from stores, employees will give it to you free of cost.
Can I use any other sim in JioFi?
No, the device is locked & you can not insert any other sim (idea, airtel) in it. But you can expect some tricks in coming month to unlock this device.
I have 2G/3G phone, can I make free calls?
Yes, you can! You don’t need to have 4G device just install JioJoin & you are good to go.
If you have any more doubts, feel free to ask. Just leave your comment & I will get back to you shortly.
Are JioFi & Mifi different from each other?
No! It’s a same device. When we say Samsung Galaxy, we didn’t mean that Samsung is different device & Galaxy is different device. Same is the case with Jio Fi Mifi.